Winemaking and Crush
Every year we crush over 8,000 tons, bottle nearly 2.5 million cases, and provide barrel services for over 25,000 barrels of wine for our clients all while being Certified Sustainable by the Certified California Winegrowing Alliance.
Purple Brands’ winemaking and cellar teams provide the highest level of winemaking expertise, technical advice, and guidance for our clients. We use modern equipment and offer a wide variety of custom crush and winemaking services to suit almost any program.
Our winemaking services include:
- Red crush and fermentation management including pumpovers, pulse air, and punchdowns
- White press and fermentation in barrel or stainless, including whole cluster capability
- Barrel operations with steam sanitation
- Stainless tank storage ranging from 1,100 gallons to 66,000 gallons
- End-to-end winemaking management from crush to bottling using Microsoft NAV software
Barrel & Tank Storage
At Purple Brands, we offer full-service storage and cellar management for winery barrel programs. Our experienced cellar staff and modern lab facilities provide peace of mind so customers can trust their wines are well looked after.
Our modern bottling line gives us the flexibility and capacity to suit a range of volumes and labeling needs. We are confident we can handle your program with experience, precision, and efficiency.
Compliance & Quality & Control
- Our experienced compliance department can help you navigate the intricate world of federal and state laws that govern the wine industry. They will help add your business to our permit, manage new label approvals, and ensure that all projects comply with government protocols and standards. We also provide Alternating Proprietorship (AP) services.
- All wines at Purple Brands are subject to rigorous protocols and standards for safety and quality. Our experienced staff of quality control professionals use stringent oversight methods to assure quality, meet our clients’ specifications, and comply with government regulations. We have two laboratories that can perform all typical wine chemistry analysis as well as microbiological testing using PCR.
Purple Brands’ largest facility sits on 20 acres of land dedicated to sustainable wine making. Originating in 1947, the Hallberg Cannery was built to process apples until Chateau St. Jean purchased it in the 1970’s and turned the building into a wine bottling plant. Fast forward to 2001 when Derek Benham founded Purple Brands and planted roots in Graton, CA on the old Hallberg property. Currently in Graton we can store up to 2 million gallons at any time, service upwards of 25,000 barrels, and house our own distillery.
Nestled in the heart of Sonoma County’s Russian River Valley, our Olivet Winery focuses primarily on producing Russian River Pinot Noir and Chardonnay using state-of-the-art open top fermenters and punchdown systems. This location hosts wine making, crush, barrel aging, and storage. Olivet Winery lies on nine acres and is capable of crushing 4,500 tons of fruit, storing 400,000 gallons in stainless-steel tanks, and producing up to 250,000 cases each year.
Our American Canyon location is a modern end-to-end wine production facility centrally located in the Green Islands Industrial Park, near major industry suppliers and warehousing. This winery is capable of crushing, bottling, and everything in between. At 128,000 square feet, this location manages a 4,500-ton crush capacity, one million gallons of tank storage, space for storing up to 10,000 barrels, and one bottling line that is fully programmable from filler to palletizer.